Guest Post by Kelly Griego
As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I’m in the process of making my exit from NYC. Naturally I’m feeling very nostalgic. If I had to sum up my NYC cultural life in a word, it would be: Concerts. My favorite way of experiencing New York City life was through music, particularly by attending shows. There was a period where I could clock in one or two a week. [Oh youth, where did you go? We had such a good thing going.] If music was my religion, then Bowery Ballroom was my church.
As I tearily thumb through the stack of ticket stubs I've so obsessively saved, I’ve reflected on my absolute favorite shows and have settled on three.
• Most likely to make you want to make you ditch your boring day job, become the female lead in an all-boy band, don some hot little number, and then get up on stage, dance the night away, and show those boys a thing or two in front of hundreds of mesmerized fans: Metric.
• Most likely to get you so jazzed that you can’t contain your enthusiasm, and you high kick with such fervor and force, that your shoe comes flying off into the audience – as I once witnessed one of this band’s members do on stage: Dr. Dog.
Apologies for the less than ideal quality here – this was the best live video I could find that accurately captures how frenetically fun their shows are, and how they sing their hearts out. By the way, it was the chap in glasses and hat on the right who lost his shoe [never did know if he got it back]:
• Most likely to make you want to quit your life as you know it, leave it all behind, and join some crazy cult-like band comprised of dancing fools that wear robes and are just so happy! [Bubble machines included.]: The Polyphonic Spree.
• Sondre Lerche, for his adorableness.
• I’m From Barcelona, for the fact that at any given time, there are about 20 over-sized balloons and/or beach balls being tossed around.
• Phoenix, for being a giant fraternity-like, good old-fashioned dance party.
If you have the opportunity to see any of these bands perform live, I money-back-guarantee you one fantastic evening.